Curriculum Vitae Details on the path I took
California State University, Stanislaus, Turlock, CA
Doctor of Education, 2014
Dissertation: Mexican American/Chicano gang members voice on social control in the context of school and community: A critical ethnographic case study in Stockton, California.
Masters of Social Work, 2003
Concentration: Deviant behavior
Thesis: An evaluation of a substance-abuse treatment program for criminal offenders.
Bachelor of the Arts, 2001
Teaching Experience Instructor
Heald College 2010-2012
- Introduction into Criminology
- Corrections: Police Operations Practice and Theory
- Organized Crime: Street Gangs & Terrorism
- Juvenile Delinquency: Victimology
California State University, Stanislaus 2012
- Teaching Assistant (TA)
My personal involvement in both street and prison gangs and crime for approximately 30 years and my academic instruction for the past 20 years in both street and prison gangs have involved me in many facets of the American gang problem. My personal experience and academic preparation coupled with extensive research have provided me with the knowledge that qualifies me for the role as a consultant and expert witness. In the context of my personal experience and academic history, I have been qualified as an expert witness in Siskiyou County on a death penalty case involving a White Supremacy gang, in Tulare County on a Norteño/Sureño Murder Case and an Asian Blood case. I have also testified in Contra County on a gang case involving eight defendants accused of being in a street gang and in Stanislaus County on numerous Norteño gang cases one which involved two juveniles prosecuted as adults. I have also participated in aiding lawyers in the preparation of testimony and given opinions on approximately 350 gang court cases. My objective when providing my services is not to determine guilt or innocence, but ensure that lawyers and juries are provided with a different perspective on the gang phenomenon other than the law enforcement point of view which has been the norm in our courtrooms for many years.
Some cases I have testified on and/or participated as a gang expert/consultant:
- People vs. Niaz Khoshnaw — Homicide
- Norteño Gang Case. Edie Rogoway Attorney at Law. Portland, Oregon. Defendant found guilty.
- People vs. Velasco, Arnulfo Jr. — Homicide
- Sureño Gang Case. Donald Kelly, Attorney at Law, 317 Rosecrans Ave. Top Floor Manhattan Beach, CA 310-546-6700. Defendant found guilty of Murder but not guilty on the gang enhancement.
- People vs. Jah-Kari, Phyall — Homicide
- Norteño Gang Case- Defendant found not guilty. Frank Carson: Attorney at Law 815 15th Street Modesto, CA 95354 (209) 549-0984
- People vs. Cardenas, Desi — Homicide
- Alleged Norteño/Sureño Gang Case: Hung Jury. Set for retrial on 3/25/2014 Tulare County, Philip, Bianco: Attorney at Law Visalia, CA 93277 (559) 732-8654. (Defendant was retried and found guilty).
- People vs. Eady, Howard Lamont — Homicide
- Sutter Street Crip Gang Case: Defendant plead guilty to 22 years. Gang allegation was dismissed. Douglass C. Jacobsen: Attorney at Law 1811 Grand Canal Blvd., Suite 2 Stockton, CA 95207-8107
- People vs. Orozco, Josue — Homicide
- Sureño/ Norteño Gang Case San Mateo, County, Ray, Buenaventura: Attorney at Law 2171 Junipero Serra Blvd. Daly City, CA 94014 Ph. (650) 756-2000. Defendant pled guilty; gang allegation was dismissed.
- People vs. Gonzalez, Abel, Jr. — Drug Trafficking
- Defendant pled guilty to seven years state prison. Gang enhancement dismissed. Siskiyou County, Ted, Bastian, Jr.: Attorney at Law 600 Fourth St. P.O. Box 431 Yreka, CA 96097 Ph. (530) 842-2000
- People vs. Lieffer, Donald — Homicide
- Gang enhancement dismissed after my testimony at preliminary hearing. Northern Peckerwood Gang Case Siskiyou County, Charles Slote: Attorney at Law 305 N. El Dorado Suite, 301 Stockton, CA 95202 Ph. (209) 948-5711
Highly Recommended What others have said.
"His story and ability to relate to our clients is a tremendous asset to any defense lawyer."
"I have worked with Dr. De La Cruz on several cases. His unique experience has proved invaluable..."
"Dr. De La Cruz’s unique “insider” knowledge and perspective is extraordinarily powerful..."